Saturday, February 28, 2009

Your Turn

Okay, I shared a good idea with you last week. Now it's your turn.

Photobucket

Ned is going to be baptized on May 9th (can he really be turning 8 already?) and I have been trying to think of things that will make this day special. So, I am turning to those of you that have had children baptized (or have been baptized yourself) and have great ideas.

What has worked for you? What hasn't worked for you?
What are your thoughts on giving an 8 year old their own set of nice scriptures? Have you done that and then decided they were too young to take good care of them?
Really, any advice would be appreciated. I just want him to enjoy it and I want him to have some great memories.

The only idea I have so far is that I was thinking of doing a photo montage to play while we eat cake (obviously it will be my Raspberry Cake, pictured at the end of this post ,YUM! What kind of family event would if be if I didn't make that?)

14 comments:

Nana J said...

At Josh and Jordan's baptism, the bishopric passed out a vinyl bound Book of Mormon and had everyone sign it. It was a good mommento. They used that BOM until their missions. We bought the Bible to make a set.

Nessa said...

I totally thing he can handle a set of scriptures. I think your photo thing is a fantastic idea...although Scrappy, we will need to make sure you have your tissue while you watch it.

The Foys said...

We always got our own set of scriptures and a little mini hymnal with our name on them and I love those scriptures and that hymnal still. Your kids are all so great! Congrats on the baptism!

The Neales said...

The scripture idea worked for us too! I still have mine, and love looking back at how colorful I made them with highlighting everything that I thought was important. which basically was everything! We also each recieved a special batism dress besides the white one you actually wear. I still have the dress too. My brother got his first real suit when he was baptised. We all recieved our own batism journals too. To record the event and start recording other spiritual experiences. anyways, congrats, Im sure it will be a very exciting day! and we are looking forward to seeing him at cubscouts!

K Bailey said...

Hurry up with those ideas...Syd's is next Sunday!!! I'm working on a photo dvd thing right now to show while I'm helping her get out of her wet clothes! The Orr's did that with Austin and I thought it was such a great idea.

Michal said...

kimball's grandparents gave him a set of nice scriptures for his baptism, and his aunt and uncle got him a carrying case. incidentally, for a young boy, i think a carrying case is essential.
he treats them well, reads them often, takes them to primary every week--and his brothers can't wait to get their set!
other than that, we just had many family home evenings leading up to his baptism that talked about covenants, faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the holy ghost, etc. we also talked about his baptism being a missionary opportunity, and he made little invitations for some of his non-member friends and teachers to attend. (many came.)

Scrappy said...

Nessa,
I know! I went to a baptism a couple of weeks ago for a little girl in our ward and I think I was the only one getting teary eyed. I know I will cry the entire day of Ned's baptism. I am so excited for him!

Nana said...

I love the idea of a spiritual experiences journal that begins with his own baptism..wish I had thought of that.
I'm probably a stick-in-the-mud, but I hate to see the baptism overshadowed by the festivities. What if the cake/party were held before the baptism, so the ordinance is the culminating event of the day?

Scrappy said...

Michal,
If I do end up getting him scriptures there WILL be a carrying case. Thanks for the reminder on the FHE lessons. I am going to plan more on those topics the next couple of months.
I am planning on having him take invitations to his friends and teachers. That make me a little nervous, but mostly excited.

Thank you to everyone for your great ideas. Keep them coming!

Mrs. Morty said...

My parents gave us a picture of Christ to hang in our room too. Nothing huge, but already framed so it wouldn't just be tacked up.

K Bailey said...

Oh and I forgot to add.....start now on the slide show because the beginning half of Syd's life was with a film camera and I had to scan everything in! Kevin has done some lesson type things each Sunday...just the two of them with homework for her to do. And we did invites but only for our non-member friends. I put on the bottom "This is a small baptismal service with our family and friends that will last about 45 minutes. I didn't want them to think it was a big "mass Mormon" meeting that would last for a long time!!!

Brooke said...

I received my very own quadruple combination for my baptism. It's the same set of scriptures I use today.

Adriann said...

Ned can NOT be turning 8. Tell him it was all a big mistake and really he's still 6. How sad he's growing up too fast!!

Beam Family said...

Hey, off the subject, I just wanted to let you know that Kim fasted for your Dad today (I'm still pumping so couldn't participate). Hope he is doing OK.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...