Friday, November 7, 2008

Weather I like it or not!

My sister called me on Wednesday morning and said, "I was just calling to tell you not to die today."

"Huh?"

"There are supposed to be tornadoes there today and I wanted to tell you not to die."

"Oh, okay. I won't"


I had no idea. I don't worry about that kind of thing like I did when I first moved here almost four years ago. The weather here has been beautiful. This week has been in the high 70's. In November. I love it! But Wednesday this is what happened:





No, that is not snow (not a tornado either). That is very loud hail mixed with lots of loud rain. So loud that you could not even hear Lucky crying in the background. It was pretty scary for him.


Yeah, it is starting to actually feel like winter is near. Whether I like it or not, and I don't. I am just not ready for the ice storms. We have some great days in the winter here, but every once in a while we have to deal with those nasty ice storms. Luckily those happen a lot less than the nice days do.

Today and yesterday have been lovely days, but on Wednesday this is what our yard looked like.
Lucky's poor little pumpkin was drowning.

The hail had embedded in the dirt.

There was lots of standing water.
Our trampoline collected a lot of the hail.




The only hail damage was our music and lights Sit 'n' Spin. We have not really used it for a while so the boys didn't mind. They were actually really fascinated by it.

I was surprised that something was broken this time when the hail was big...

but not nearly as big as it was in our storm this spring when nothing (nothing at our house anyway) was broken.

We lost power that night for about an hour. My cell phone was dead and our flashlight is not working very well. I guess it was a good reminder that I need to be prepared for the coming winter.

11 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Holy cow! That is crazy!
And, clever title, you clever girl, you.

Erika said...

Love your little pun with the title. So genius :-)
Dude, that is NUTS!!
Sounds like CA may be calling your name & tugging at your heart strings?

Stephanie said...

yikes. Glad you didn't die. Good thing you're sister reminds you about important stuff like staying alive.

Adriann said...

Sooooo don't miss that.

Mrs. Morty said...

Dang! I can't believe the hail was so bad for you guys, we had pebble size maybe dime size at best. That is scary I'm glad there was only one casualty too.

Family said...

Thanks for the update. I actually was thinking about you the other day when the storms were going through. Glad you guys are OK. That's crazy the size of the hail.WOW!!!

Nana said...

Wow - we Californians are rather fascinated by any type of extreme weather - hot and dry gets old this time of year. An ice storm sounds so romantic - so Little-house-on-the-prairie. Thanks for sharing, so I can enjoy from a safe distance.
ps, do not feel obliged to experience a tornado for me.

Michal said...

yikes! i've never been in that kind of weather. thanks for not dying.

boys in the hood said...

Where was I when this happened??? Oh ya..up on the north side. The things we have to look forward to here!!!

Liz said...

You're right-there was a lot of standing water. That poor little drowning pumpkin!

S said...

I know ice storms are horrible and cause massive power outages and things like that... but I think they make everything look surreal and kind of magical. It's too bad hey can't give that effect without also causing so much damage and inconvenience. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...