Monday, April 7, 2008

I'm not JUST a mom!

I thought it might be fun to answer a question that David McMahon, (someone I blogstalk on occasion) posed on his blog.
His question is:
What's the most crucial thing you've ever learnt?

It is so hard to say what is most crucial... so I will talk about one of the most crucial things that I have learned about being a mother.

Elder M. Russell Ballard gave a great talk about mothers yesterday during general conference.
"I surely know that there is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood. There is no one perfect way to be a mother.
"...What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and in keeping with the devotion she has with God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."

I have always known how important it is to be a mother, making my children a priority in my life is something that came naturally. That was not hard for me, but one of the most crucial things I have had to learn since becoming a mother is that I am not just a mom. Being a mom is the most important thing that I do, but it does not define who I am as a woman.

I have tried hard the last few years to find balance in my life.
Elder Ballard said, "Find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests... Water cannot be drawn from an empty well, and if you're not setting aside a little time for what replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children."

When I had my first baby I was bewitched. I loved being a mom and I wanted to be good at it. I was always happy, and loved my new life as a mom. I think that I didn't even realize that I had lost part of myself until I started to find things that I enjoyed doing on my own again. It felt so good to have fun doing things that did not involve my babies.


I think it all started to change when I moved to a new state and met some new friends. We started scrapbooking together every week. I found something I was good at and I was able to talk with other moms about the frustrations and joys of being stay-at-home moms. The group grew larger each week, as did my quantity of scrapbooking supplies. I stopped dragging all of my supplies and "scrapbooking night" turned in to "girls night" where we just chatted and giggled until way past our bedtimes! :)

That all started about three years ago. Girls night has kind of fizzled, but I am grateful that I had that time to learn the importance of taking time for myself.

A few of the things that I do to 'fill my well' are:

  • I try to buy flattering clothes. Just because I only have $6 to spend on a shirt it does not mean that I have to buy a big frumpy t-shirt. I just have to watch out for great clearance sales.

  • I get my hair done. I have lots of talented women that I go to church with that make me feel beautiful for a very reasonable price!

  • I try to do things with my children that we all enjoy.

  • I scrapbook... sometimes with my children sitting next to me working on their own scrapbooks (cutting papers and gluing them into a book).

  • I talk to my sisters on the phone, even if it is just for a moment, to have a conversation with another adult.

  • I blog. :)

  • I go to a scrapbook convention every year. (I have been twice, but I plan on doing it every year!)

  • I go to the gym. Some times I am better about this than others.


    I would not change anything I did those first few years that I was a mom, but I sure am enjoying myself a little more these days.


    So, all you moms out there, take care of yourself for a change... go get your hair done, buy a cute new shirt, or at least go pluck your eyebrows!

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

Well stated. It is important to refresh yourself to be the best for the ones you love, and mostly for yourself. Some of us didn't learn this as fast as others.

TheSweetMom said...

I loved the talk you quoted as well. And I think I can take more time to let myself blossom. You are doing a great job of that now! Keep it up.

Michal said...

i have been thinking about answering david's question this time around as well. although i haven't had much time and am just hoping to post some time this week on any subject!:)

thanks for sharing your thoughts on womanhood and motherhood. i loved what elder ballard said, too.

Mrs. Morty said...

Are you saying I have a uni-brow!?! I loved Elder Ballard's talk and I'm glad he encouraged women to take time for themselves as well. It is so true that we need time for find ourselves out side of being mom.

boys in the hood said...

Thanks for reminding me to go get my eyebrows done...I don't want to do them myself! Thanks for sharing the quotes from Elder Ballard's talk, I too really loved that talk!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...