Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thank you, Ned! (a story that I just don't want to forget)

Photobucket

While putting up Christmas decorations this year my three amigos helped out a lot. Ned was extra helpful. He put most of the decorations on the tree, cleared off the mantel (including carefully carrying everything into my bedroom), and put up our A Christmas Story village. I was so grateful because, as usual, I was not having a great day (is it just me, or does it not seem fair to still have morning [all day] sickness at 7 months pregnant?)

Of course the house was a total mess from the boxes that were brought down from the attic and I was not looking forward to that clean up, and I also had some rearranging I wanted to do in the living room. We have had toys stored in our living room for a couple of years now, but I just could not take it anymore so I had decided to move everything into the boys' already crowded bedroom and was not looking forward to the process. Ned decided to take on the project himself. I thought for sure that he would lose steam after a little while and leave an even bigger mess for me to deal with later. To my surprise he worked for 6 hours moving book selves out of his closet, vacuuming the closet, carrying all the toys into the bedroom, and organizing all of the toys. About 4 or 5 hours into the process Ned came to me and said, "It feels so good to help. I am SO tired and I just want to lay down, but it feels really good to help."
What a good boy! I feel so lucky to be his mom.

***************************************************

I want to add something in response to Jess's comment. A few days after the above story happened it was my birthday. When I woke up in the morning I had not though about it being my birthday until Ned came in and said, "Happy birthday, Mommy! What do you think you want for breakfast?" I told him that I was not feeling well enough to eat but that I would love it if he fed his brothers so I did not have to. He actually does this most mornings for me, after getting himself dressed almost two hours before he has to be at school. I'm loving it!

10 comments:

K Bailey said...

Wow-come to my house Ned!

Stephanie said...

That's awesome. Grant had a fit of "service" one Sunday after sharing time. It was awesome.

Nessa said...

Ohhhh what a great kid you got there!!! I bet it felt good...for both of you! And NO it is not fair to be sick all the time...hang in there!!!!

Jess said...

That helpful at the age of 8? What's next? Breakfast in bed?

Roxanne said...

He is such a sweetheart. He will be a good husband and father someday, just like his dad.
See you in a couple of months!

TheSweetMom said...

I've always thought that little guy of yours is so very special. You are one special and lucky mommy you know! Tell him to sit closer to Josh in class on Sunday. Maybe some of that sweetness will rub off, hehe.

Megan said...

That is sweet! My husband cleaned the house on his day off last week and it is still bringing smiles to my face! He must have some great examples to follow!

Nana said...

I know Ned is a special child - but I couldn't help thinking he had angels working alongside him. You have to admit that 6 hours is pretty super for an 8-yr-old!
And - there is certainly something special about being the kind of boy who toils on an angel's errand.

Kat said...

Oh my! What a wonderful boy! Seriously. He needs to come over to my house and give them some "helpful" lessons. ;) What a sweetie! :)

Jennifer Brammer said...

What a good worker! He is so sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...