Unfortunately, my husband was laid off six weeks after our move--very stressful! He accepted a job with the company he was working for (Circuit City) as a sales person, for less pay, and he started looking for another job. He had a hard time finding one so he started working at a movie theater in the evenings so we could get by.
My sweet grandpa, who was 91 at the time, was living with my parents and wanted to come visit us to make sure we were alright. So, my dad brought him to our house (tiny, old, run-down apartment) for a short visit.
My husbands favorite part of working at the movie theater was the free movies. He decided to take my dad to a movie one of the nights that they were there, leaving me to visit with my grandpa for the evening. My dad and husband had been gone about an hour when Grandpa decided to use the bathroom....
A few minutes after he went in to the bathroom I heard THUD, CRASH, and Grandpa moan, "Oooohhhhh!"
I yelled, "Grandpa!"
I was afraid of what I was going to see when I opened the door. I was worried that he had collapsed in his old age and was a pile of broken bones on the floor. When I opened the door, this is what I saw:

He had slipped on the rug, and fell straight back into the bathtub. He was rubbing his head but was otherwise just fine. The only problem was that he was too weak, and I was too pregnant to get him out of the tub. I called my dad and husband to come home to rescue Grandpa.
It was so scary at first, but he was just fine. By the time the other two got back from their unfinished movie Grandpa was in good enough spirits that he insisted I take a photo. Thank goodness he was able to laugh at himself, because Dad and my hubby sure got a chuckle when they saw him!




9 comments:
I remember when this happened! So funny. I'm just glad he didn't break anything. What a trooper.
I sure miss Grandpa. I wish our kids would have been able to really know him, and all of their great-grandparents. Shaylie remembers a little about him at least. And all my girls are really just too shy around G&G R to get to know them well. They get nervous and intimidated I think. Sad.
As I recall they haven't seen the end of the movie (or at least it took them a long time to see it). Grandpa took several tumbles in his later years and he was lucky that he didn't break any bones.
It's hard for young ones to be comfortable with grandparents they rarely see.
I was lucky to know my grandparents very well because we lived in the same town, in fact for the first ten years of my life my grandparents were next door neighbors. I have fond memories of lunches, dinners and sleepovers, and playing games at grandma and grandpa's house.
I don't think I've ever seen that picture. How funny! I miss Grandpa, too. It's a wonder I ever come to your house considering this story and Mom's ceiling incident.:) Maybe I'll think about it more next time I'm considering visiting.
Emily,
I am planning on writing about the ceiling incident for a Flashback Friday one of these days...
Ooh, poor Grandpa. At least he had a good sense of humor about it. I would be nervous going in the bathroom too. I had to go check on my dad in the bathroom one time while he was sick. He'd been in there too long. He was on the floor but not exposed. You just don't want to walk in on people like that even if it is to help them :)
Your grandpa is SO cool. Mine would have laughed about it later but would have killed me for even thinking of taking a photo.
P.S. Had no idea you were stalking me but glad you commented. =)
Thirteen Days. It was a great movie, until your phone call. I shall never see the end in respect of your grandpa. I can not see this picture without laughing. What a great man. Hope I can laugh when I am caught with my pants down.
love it! that is an adorable story. i'm glad that he was fully dressed. it could have been so much worse.
Thirteen Days? That was a good movie, although I do remember being confused. I usually am during history movies. You should finish it, mcd.
Post a Comment