Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sundae, my favorite day of the week!


When I was a little girl we were only allowed to have ice cream on Sunday night. I don't know if my parents did it to save money or if it was so we could be healthier. I remember my brothers and sisters and I would have my dad mix our chocolate syrup into our vanilla ice cream... our own version of soft serve. I looked forward to that night all week long.
Fast forward 20 years and I still love Sunday night. I don't have ice cream every Sunday (I eat it whenever I want it, which is less and less the older I get) but I do have this strange need to make something sweet. I was talking to a friend on the phone this evening and she was getting ready to make brownies, so I must not be the only one. What is it about Sundays? I wonder if it is from my childhood of Sunday evening indulgence or if it is because if I have a moment with nothing to keep me busy I just have to bake. I really need to find something better to do with my time, I guess.
Well, if you will excuse me, I need to go and make some peanut butter cookies... ala mode!

7 comments:

Mrs. Morty said...

Unfortunately my brownies were nowhere near a good as a mix, especially the turtle brownie mix that I usually make. Bummer. They were okay though, good enough to get me through my craving for them.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Mmmm...can I come over? I'm settling for chocolate milk and graham crackers tonight. Sunday's do seem to be a day when I bake more, or at least want more sweets.

Family said...

OK that is too funny. I did not see your blog before making the brownies. It must be a Sunday after church thing. Dallen asked for a treat today(thinking candy!!) and I said I don't have any. He said we can make brownies. So we had fun making brownies together.. Your peanut butter cookies sound Yummy. I am sure your boys enjoyed devouring them.

Heres to Sunday Afternoon Mmmm...

Emily said...

I definitely have the same need for sweets on Sunday. For me it is a need for baked sweets. I eat ice cream every other day of the week. :) Shaun wanted to make PB cookies today, but I didn't want to use the last of our precious peanut butter. I'm sure he'll be jealous when I tell him you had them.

McD said...

Peanut butter cookies!? We didn't have peanut butter cookies! Wait a minute, all us boys went to bed early tonight and you stayed up, did you make cookies and not share? I personally like treats after any meal and ice cream with every meal

Michal said...

we have to have a dessert around here on sundays no matter how healthy we are trying to be. and at the moment, it seems like we have dessert every single night. yikes. it's a good thing we're exercising, but this really has to stop. i don't have mcd's metabolism.

Ice Cream said...

Mmmm. Everything is better ala mode. =)

And I love the Sunday sundaes idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...